Rcd330 Plus Firmware and Language Update
RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Printable Version

+- Rcd330 Plus Firmware and Language Update (https://rcd330plus.com)
+-- Forum: Rcd 330 Plus Firmwares & Guides (https://rcd330plus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: RCD330 Plus installation guide (https://rcd330plus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus (/showthread.php?tid=1303)

RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - pdp24 - 04-23-2019

I have a RCD330 187A and I installed it last week and noticed that when the car was completely off the lights would flicker and I figured it was because my canbus was old so I changed my canbus from a F(1K0907530F) to a newer version (1K0907530AD) and I had someone use a VCDS to update the new canbus and the flashing lights stopped.

However now when the car is completely off with the keys out, when I press the power button the radio it turns on when it should actually be off. I left the car for two days and tried to start my car today and it wouldn’t start due to the battery almost being dead. This is driving me crazy as now i don’t know what to do as I thought changing the canbus would fix everything.

Please help!!
(I have a 2006 vw Jetta)

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cheesethief - 04-24-2019

That's a hard one.

The radio will work while the car is off and the keys are out of the ignition. When you turn the radio off it remains in sleep mode for about 40 minutes before fully turning off.

I don't know what could be causing the power draw...

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - ddren - 04-24-2019

Do you try to pull the car keys from the ignition when the head unit is automatically closed.Is there a fault code for VCDs

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Ssmann1990 - 04-28-2019

did you manage to fix the battery issue as i am experiencing the same issue with the stereo always being live 

i have a polo 6r

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cooperman - 05-02-2019

Good afternoon all,
Did anyone manage to get an answer to this problem.

I have a Dec 2009 Facelift Leon. Apparently all the facelifts have gateways that do not suffer with battery drain.

But
  • I have had the car for 4yrs and never suffered a flat battery.
  • Within a week of installing the RCD330, it went flat.
  • I charged it, and it went flat again in a week.
  • Bought a new battery.
  • The new battery went flat within a week.
  • I then swapped out the unit with the original one.
  • .............It has now been 4  weeks, and its fine.
I have plugged in VCDS, and my canbus hardware revision is fine..

Hardware -  1K0 907 530 AD
Software -  H16 0231

I am kinda stumped now... not sure on how to progress.

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - ddren - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 01:33 PM)Cooperman Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Good afternoon all,
Did anyone manage to get an answer to this problem.

I have a Dec 2009 Facelift Leon. Apparently all the facelifts have gateways that do not suffer with battery drain.

But
  • I have had the car for 4yrs and never suffered a flat battery.
  • Within a week of installing the RCD330, it went flat.
  • I charged it, and it went flat again in a week.
  • Bought a new battery.
  • The new battery went flat within a week.
  • I then swapped out the unit with the original one.
  • .............It has now been 4  weeks, and its fine.
I have plugged in VCDS, and my canbus hardware revision is fine..

Hardware -  1K0 907 530 AD
Software -  H16 0231

I am kinda stumped now... not sure on how to progress.

Hi Cooperman.

Can you be sure that after the car ignition switch is turned off, the car key is removed and the head unit can be automatically turned off. If not, you have to connect the CANBUS cable correctly.

Can you open the 56-Radio option in the VCDS software? Is there a fault code?

In China, this type of gateway has a lot of cars, there is no battery drain issue.

ddren

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cooperman - 05-07-2019

Hi ddren,
Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by the 'connect the canbus cable correctly'? - The canbus gateway is the original that came with the car.
It also has no issues with the original headunit Sad

I'll check for fault codes in 56 within VCDs, would that really cause it to drain?

And like you said, I imagine alot of cars worldwide have this gateway, thats why im so confused by all this.... its strange

Thanks again for your help.... Wink

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cooperman - 05-08-2019

** Update **

Here is just a little update, in case anyone find this post looking for an answer.

Firstly, there was no fault codes on VCDs for my radio (thanks for the idea though!!)

As my car is a 59 plate facelift seat leon, the fusebox is different to the one seen in the well known 'mk5 golf fusebox trick'.

After a bit of researching, and poking about with a multimeter, I have tweaked the fix as shown in the photo.

Initial reports -
If the engine hasn't been started recently   --  Result  -- The radio will stay 'active' for about 10 seconds, then completely cut out*
When turning the engine off                       -- Result  --  The radio will stay 'active' for about 5mins, then completely cut out*

Before the tweak, the radio would not cut off after 10 seconds, or 5mins, so it seems promising.

*cut out - the radio is reset. with the stock radio this meant that the radio re-learns its code (as if disconnected from the battery).
With the RCD330, the only effect is that is will read the USB from the root directory, not the last track played. I can live with that.

In both the above, the radio stations seemed to be remembered, as does the EQ settings etc.

I'll post an update, if I start to feel the battery struggling, i'll swap it out again.

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cheesethief - 05-08-2019

(05-07-2019, 02:59 PM)Cooperman Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Hi ddren,
Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by the 'connect the canbus cable correctly'? - The canbus gateway is the original that came with the car.
It also has no issues with the original headunit Sad

I'll check for fault codes in 56 within VCDs, would that really cause it to drain?

And like you said, I imagine alot of cars worldwide have this gateway, thats why im so confused by all this.... its strange

Thanks again for your help.... Wink

Your problem is that your canbus gateway is too old. Pretty much most cars older than 2010 will need a new canbus gateway or a canbus simulator to make this radio work without it draining your battery dry. Just because yours is a facelift does not mean you have a new enough gateway. Check with VCDS that yours is revision K or later.

The original post is asking why he still has battery drain after updating/changing his gateway to a newer revision.  Totally different issue.

RE: RCD330 battery drain - changed canbus - Cooperman - 05-08-2019

Good morning Cheesethief,

My module revision is later than a K (1k0 907 530 AD).
Looking at the feedback on general consensus is that this revision does not suffer from the drain issue.

Unless I've misunderstood, the facelift leon does not suffer from an outdated gateway.
As part of the refresh, and the adoption of LIN2.0, the new MFSW etc, the gateway is sufficient...

I've stripped back my car setup, and now its come down to the radio being the only variable.
With the RCD330 installed, it drains within a week. If I put the old unit it, it works fine....

I hope i'm not coming across ungrateful or grumpy, I am really grateful for everyones input Smile .