Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RCD330 187B DESAY - One month review
ngx 
Hello everyone,

I would like to share my experience on RCD330 plus 187B Desay Carplay unit.

It has been over a month that I have been using it on my Golf MKVI together with the rear camera that I have bought from the same seller, JNDSNY. My overall experience is great. 

Here are pros and cons;

Bugs/Cons:
  • "Screen off after 10 seconds" your preference is not saved. Option is unchecked after turning off the car. You have to enable it on every time you start the car so that your screen can be off after 10 seconds of no activity. You may wonder; why do we need that feature? The answer is simple, possibility of OLED screen burn-in issue.
  • ParkPilot and the rear view camera cannot be viewed simultaneously on same screen. Camera is taking over the park pilot unless you tap on the button.
  • CarPlay sound is lower than BT and AUX. There are 3 options for Bluetooth and Aux volume levels (Minimum, Medium, Maximum). But there isn't any option for CarPlay. If you choose MAX for Aux or Bluetooh, whenver you switch from/to CarPlay there will be volume difference. The best option is too keep all volume settings at Minimum.
  • Third party camera that was installed at licence plate isn't centered therefore the camera guide lines are not correct. The lines at the camera screen are meaningless because they don't mean anything and confuse you. Although the camera angle and the quality are very good, the car or tires positions are not clear at the image. You don't know where the car is going by just looking at the image.
  • Baidu Carlife cannot be removed. It's annoying that whenever you connect your phone you get two options CarPlay or Baidu Carlife, you have to tap on Apple CarPlay on every single time. Which is annoying because I will never use CarLife
    • *Update: After MatoC9's comment, I tested it again and it automatically launched the CarPlay. Apparently the issue ) occurs under certain conditions. as Bashl0r also explained; Baidu CarLife can be disabled via VCDS

• Unit is heating up too much even if it runs just few minutes. I hope it won't be damaged from overheating
  • No firmware updates released so far. No red menu available (yet).
Pros:
  • Sound quality is as good as original. Balance, Fader and EQ work as expected. No sound related bugs. Quick note here; sound is occasionally distorted when playing from CarPlay but that issue is caused by the IOS firmware and it was fixed from IOS 11.4 and above.
  • Screen quality and resolution is very good, colors are bright, touch screen is very responsive. Long press to Media button to take a screenshot of the screen to the SD Card Smile
  • CarPlay works every time, no bugs or anything seen yet.
  • Siri is responsive and fast. Quick note; siri can't hear me when the fan speed is above level 3.
  • No echo on mic. Phone call quality is very good.
  • SD media, Bluetooth Media and USB media functions are working flawless.
  • No major bugs or annoyances. It just works perfectly almost always.
Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.
I have the same unit from same seller and I'm just as satisfied as you are. (I have it for 4 months)

One thing I want to say, I don't have to tap on CarPlay everytime, it remembers that I'm using CarPlay and it launches it automatically when I connect my iPhone
(06-08-2018, 08:16 AM)MatoC9 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I have the same unit from same seller and I'm just as satisfied as you are. (I have it for 4 months)

One thing I want to say, I don't have to tap on CarPlay everytime, it remembers that I'm using CarPlay and it launches it automatically when I connect my iPhone

Actually you are right, I tested it again today and it automatically launched the CarPlay. I think it sometimes happen but I don't know exactly it which situation. I will update my previous post. 

Thank you for the input.
@mikewell you can disable baidu like i said in another thread.

I disabled Baidu with VCDS,  you ned to go to Bit 4 and  change 16 to 06. I think you can also disable mirrorlink or Carplay but i didnt figured out what i need to change.
(06-08-2018, 04:26 PM)Bashl0r Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@mikewell you can disable baidu like i said in another thread.

I disabled Baidu with VCDS,  you ned to go to Bit 4 and  change 16 to 06. I think you can also disable mirrorlink or Carplay but i didnt figured out what i need to change.

Good to know. Thank you!

Unfortunately I don't have the VCDS software or the VAG cables. I would definitely disable the Carflife. 

Do you know any cheap way to handle it? Do Chinese cables work?
No sorry i dont know which china cable is working, maybe a cheap alternative is obd11?
Odis, vagcom and vag can pro can be used.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Thanks for the review ! Just installed mine today and already happy with it. Guess i made a right call with the delay.
(06-08-2018, 04:26 PM)Bashl0r Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.@mikewell you can disable baidu like i said in another thread.

Byte 0 bit 1 - on/off Mirrolink
Byte 0 bit 2 - on/off Apple Carplay
(06-15-2018, 06:47 AM)pvc1 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Byte 0 bit 1 - on/off Mirrolink
Byte 0 bit 2 - on/off Apple Carplay

Thank you!